Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crazy Options!

Wow - sometimes God does something crazy and throws you a curveball.  And sometimes you just don't know what to do with it.

We are all set to begin our cycle in ~10 days: embryos are selected, meds are ordered - really, we are all set.

Then yesterday, our clinic here in NY called because they had embryos donated; they are offering them to us.  We got the profile last night - they look great.  Young, healthy, acheived pregnancy from a frozen cycle.  It seems perfect - like a gift straight from the hand of God.  We love our clinic; I would love to do our cycle here.  It has been over a year since they've had ANY embryos donated- which is why we pursued the clinic in Florida.

So, what about Florida?  The coordinator there is SO nice and has been SO helpful.  Our meds are already ordered for that cycle - we're just waiting for my period to start.  We haven't paid the deposit on our embryos there yet - but we should today.  (So we have to decide what we're going to do - today.)

I'm so confused!

The one thing that I did say to my husband before our clinic called was that I was afraid we were running ahead of God by going to the Florida clinic.  With our daughter, everything fell into place perfectly and we knew that God was providing for us.  This time, I felt like we were deciding what to do and asking God to bless it and guide us.  We weren't banging down any closed doors, but we weren't really waiting for God to open them either.  Then we got the phone call from our clinic that was clearly God opening a door for us.

Since when is too many embryos a problem?  Yet, I feel conflicted.  Should I stick with the embryos we have reserved in Fl?  Or choose the ones our clinic is offering us?  I feel somewhat obligated to go to Fl since they have already reserved them for us and sent in the prescriptions for our meds.  But our clinic would be a better experience and cost less.  The program fees are essentially the same, but we'd save $1200 in travel costs by not having to fly to Florida.

I just don't know what to do.  My husband thinks we should keep both sets of embryos.  (After all, we went for years with no embryos.)  I fear that might be selfish, since there are lots of families wanting donor embryos.  But what if we choose 1 set and the cycle fails?  How long would it be before we could try again?

Agghh - Someone tell me what to do!  (lol)


  1. Well, I can't tell you what to do. Sorry! I can tell you that this seems like it may be God saying "hey! these are the babies I've meant for you to have!" with the local clinic.

    In the end, it's up to you. Not the worst problem to have, though! :)

  2. Wow! Sometimes options complicate things that otherwise seemed so clear.

    Is there anyway to ask your clinic to hold the embryos for you until after you go through with the transfer of the embryos in FL? That would be my first thought/reaction... However, I also agree that it seems like God may have a different plan by making available the embryos at your clinic... So confusing.

    Ultimately, it'll be up to you to decide, no one can tell you and there is no *right* answer.

  3. Oh wow! I can only imagine how conflicted you guys must feel. However, there is no right answer, so take heart in that you can't make a wrong decision...all of them need a chance to be adopted. :)

  4. No advice, just praying for wisdom for you!